1. Last weekend I had my sister, nephew and great nephew visiting from SC. My sister and I decided to make Pasteles. Pasteles are wrapped bananas, and root vegetables stuffed meat pastries,
traditionally served during Thanksgiving and Christmas in Puerto Rico. A Puerto Rican house must have these for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.
2. I've gone over my menu for Thanksgiving, and I have my list of dishes. Here it goes, Turkey, Ham, Pork Roast, Rice with Pigeon Peas, Mac and Cheese, Stuffing, Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallow, Meatballs, Stuffed Shells, Potato Salad and Pasteles. My husband and I are having company for Thanksgiving, and so I go all out. What's on your menu?
3. I'm still working on my dessert menu for Thanksgiving. I know that I will have about 3 different cookies, a pie, perhaps a cheesecake and a cake. I'm also thinking of doing rice pudding (arroz con dulce). This is also a tradition for Puerto Ricans, we make it different than the one you find at the supermarket. We add cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, coconut milk, carnation milk and whole milk. White and brown sugar...and raisins. I can't wait to make it!!
4. Are you making Eggnog, I know I am. I like mine with just a little bit of rum. I usually make a few bottles, some with lots of rum, a couple of bottles with just a little bit, and one bottle with no rum.
5. I'm almost done with the Christmas decorations. This weekend coming up I will be decorating the outside of the house and putting up the Christmas tree. Have you done your decorations, if not, what are you waiting for. Put them up early so that you can really enjoy them.
6. I've been going through my cooking books. I have many holiday books with wonderful recipes, that I plan on making for the next few weeks. Stay tune.
7. As I mentioned before I collect cookbooks. I like to check out Goodwill, Thrifts stores and in the summer yard sales. I always find great cooking books. Some of my books go for about $20-$25 dollars, and I have only paid about 3 dollars. So if you are looking for some cooking books to add to your collection, check out these places before paying full price at the book store.
8. I went to dinner and the movies on Friday with my husband and my neighbors. We decided to watch "The Best Man Holiday". It was a really good movie, I laughed and cried all through the movie. It was by far better than the first one. Then we went to Marlow's Tavern for dinner. We had a really good time.
9. Well, I hope you have a fantastic weekend. Try and get your
Thanksgiving shopping done early. Don't wait until the last minute.
Make a menu and a list of all of the items you will need to make your
wonderful dinner on that day.
10. Again, Thank you for liking and sharing my page with your family and friends. I love to cook and share everything I know with you!! Have a fantastic weekend!!!